Thursday, January 9, 2014

How Do I Work Out When I'm Hurt?



There are some of us that work out really hard, we are going, burning some good calories, and then we get hurt. How are we supposed to work out when we are hurt? I have recently hurt my shoulder (three or four weeks ago now) and have been rehabbing it back to health. I was doing 100 push-ups and 100 kettle-bell swings in 1 workout before I got hurt. I was really getting results and was slimming good. Then I got hurt while I was playing Ultimate Frisbee. I fell on my head and neck after someone had pushed me. What was I going to do to rehab and recuperate my shoulder? I soon realized that living life and functioning was going to be more difficult than I thought.

1. Start Small, But Start!
I started back after giving my shoulder a week off of any activity with 5 push-ups and 5 kettle-bell swings. I have been working my way up as the weeks have gone by. I am proud to say that after STARTING back again that I am up to 70 push-ups and about 100 kettle-bell swings in 1 workout. I have been going for 4 weeks!

2. Use Your Body Part
I would suggest that you used your body part that is injured. This doesn't mean that you go and run a marathon on a hurt leg. It means that you use it enough to not let it get stiff. I threw thousands of Frisbee's on my retreat that lasted four days and it loosened up my shoulder to strengthen it again. In order for muscles to heal you have to keep breaking them down to grow them back up. Use your body part.

3. Keep the Rest of Your Body Strong
Just because one part of your body is hurt doesn't mean that you have to stop working out the entire body. If your leg is hurt, then work out your upper body and arms. If your arm is hurt, then workout your lower body. Keeping the rest of your body strong will help your weak body part to acclimate quicker and better.

4. Stay Mentally Strong
Keeping your mind mentally strong will help you to overcome your injury however small or big it is. Your mental state is what helps your physical state to operate at peak performance. If your mind isn't in it, then your body won't be either.

5. Rest
Resting is part of the rehab. When you are hurting you can only workout or play so much. Keep it to a low and get some rest while you are hurt. You have to give your body enough time to energize and rehab itself. Take a break and give it some rest. If you want to work out you can still work out, but give yourself an extra day to rest. It will feel uncomfortable when you work out when you are hurt, but you have to work out to an extent.

6. GO OUT AND GET SOME!
Woohoo! That's right! You heard me! The final step after you have rehabbed enough it to GO OUT AND GET SOME! Don't stand idly by and watch the world go around. Go!

I hope that you guys put these practical tips to use as I have personally tried them and have used them for all of my rehabbing  that I've done. (Which is a lot as I get hurt often!;) Best of luck to you guys and your weight loss. Keep working out and shedding that weight off!

~Obesity Overload

No comments:

Post a Comment